MUSCLE TARGETS: Abs (rectus), hip flexors, obliques
1 Sit on your exercise mat. Stretch your legs out in front of you, with your knees fully extended. Keep your arms at your sides, palms facing downward on the floor.
2 Bring your knees toward your chest, then extend your legs again, keeping your feet off the floor.
TIP: If you are having trouble keeping in place on the floor, wedge your hands under your backside to keep from sliding around. Eventually, you should be able to fold your arms across your chest, using only core strength to hold your body steady.
REP: Return to the starting position. This constitutes 1 rep.
# REPS: 10-50
- Keep your upper body off the ground while performing this exercise. This causes you to balance on your backside, which engages your lower back and core even more.
- Hold your body in the crunched position for a count of 5 before returning back to the floor.
Quick Strength for Runners offers a smart, fast-paced strength training program for runners who want to run faster and with fewer injuries. In under an hour a week, runners will strengthen their core and key running muscles to build a better runner’s body.
- Quick Strength for Runners on Amazon.com
- Quick Strength for Runners from Barnes & Noble
- Quick Strength for Runners from VeloPress
- Quick Strength for Runners from Chapters/Indigo
- Quick Strength for Runners from your local bookstore
Quick Strength for Runners is published by VeloPress, the leading publisher of books about cycling, running, triathlon, and swimming.