In Smart Marathon Training, I discuss the importance of having an expert analyze your gait in order to find weaknesses and imbalances that can lead to injury. For many people, though, it’s difficult to find a good practitioner who is both knowledgeable and available.
Here in the Washington DC area, Dr. Kevin Maggs, who I personally go to for gait analysis, had a great idea. Instead of asking clients to come to him, he set up a unique system to bring gait analysis to his clients virtually. I’ll let him tell the story:
I get frustrated with treating athletes across the country. Not with the athletes themselves, but with the bad advice and care that they are receiving. Part of the problem is the fact that many of them get treatment (PT, laser, ART, Graston, ultrasound etc.) on wherever they feel “pain” with little to no thought on why they have the pain. “Hip flexor strain? It must be weak! Let’s strengthen it!”
If they do decide to get someone to look at their running mechanics, they have strange ideas about who is qualified. Things like “My friend is a great runner and he videotaped me. He said I’m doing ‘blah blah blah'” That’s awesome that he’s a great runner, but does he understand anatomy and biomechanics? I mean, I think I’m a really good driver, but I don’t think you want me to work on your car!
Anyway, so there are a lot of people who either don’t think about having their running mechanics looked at, or they don’t live near someone qualified. Therefore….runningreform.com
Here’s how it works. Go to the website (www.runningreform.com)
- Videotape yourself running
- Upload the videos to my website
- Make an appointment
- At the appointment time, log onto my computer for screen sharing.
- For 45 minutes, we talk on the phone while we are both viewing the same screen and talk about what you are doing with their running mechanics
- After the 45 minute appointment, you get a unique log in page where you have their own customized videos of exercises and drills to help fix whatever you are doing wrong.
When you go to pay, you can enter the promotional code INTRO2012 for 20% off. Feel free to pass this email onto your friends/relatives.
Active Spine and Sport